Stephen Weiman, MSW RSW Registered Social Worker and Psychotherapist
I am continually moved and inspired by people’s stories and their willingness to bring their more vulnerable parts of self to me. I work to create a safe therapy environment to enable clients to deepen their self- awareness and make changes in their personal/professional lives.
My formative experience includes; training and teaching in family therapy at the Family Therapy Externship Program at the George Hull Centre, extensive community consultation, teaching within the Ontario Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT) and as a Faculty of Social Work University of Toronto field Instructor.
I would describe my psychotherapy as an integration of systems theory and psychodynamic theory which explores present and past relationships, as well as the therapy relationship itself.
Therapy is shaped through a collaborative dialogue between client and therapist led by a client’s hopes, aspirations and goals.
The search for strength and competency guides my practice working with diverse issues such as: addictions, men’s issues, couple therapy across the life span, family therapy with older children, impasses in creativity and identity, family businesses and crisis in young adult hood.
Mentorship, supervision and one time or on-going consultation has become a significant part of my practice.
Education and Training
- Master of Social Work: University of Toronto
- Child Guidance Clinic: : Externship under Salvador Minuchin , Philadelphia, U.S.A.
- Institute for Family Therapy : Training with Maurizio Andolfi for Teachers in Family Therapy, Rome, Italy
- Institute for Advancement in Self Psychology (IASP), Toronto, Canada
- Gestalt Institute: Group Training with Harvey Friedman, Toronto, Canada
- Family Therapy Training Program with Elizabeth Ridgely, Toronto, Canada
Member of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW) and Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW)
Contact Stephen Weiman